July 29, 2009

All—

I am sorry to have to share this with you, but there were some cancer cells found in the fluid drained off my lung last week.  We got the call on Monday am and since then have had a PET scan, chest x-ray, MRI of my brain and consults with the oncologist and surgeon.  The doctors are very surprised by this turn of events.  And so are we as you can imagine.  Last week I was “cured”, this week I have moved to Stage IV lung cancer.

The MRI of my brain was clear.  The cancerous cell count in the fluid is low.  The PET scan showed no cancer anywhere except in the fluid. There are no masses or tumors in the lungs.   It appears we have caught a recurrence early in the game.  All of this is considered good news. 

The fact that it has returned so soon after such an aggressive treatment is not good news. 

The tests this week reveal that the fluid has begun to accumulate again.  The surgeon has suggested a surgical procedure to drain the accumulating fluid and eliminate future fluid problems with a TALC procedure.  We are scheduled to have this done on August 12, followed by a 2 day hospital stay. 

The doctors are performing some additional tests on the tissue samples collected last August during my biopsy.  Once this tissue test is complete and all test results are in, the doctors will meet collectively to determine the best course of action.  We expect to begin some type of chemotherapy in late August, allowing for some recovery time from the surgery on Aug 12.  There is talk of removing  my left lung but no one seems to really want to do that, but that option is still on the table. 

Obviously we are saddened by this news.  This is not going to be easy.  We need a miracle.  But, at last check, God is still in the miracle business. 

I am thankful to I know if I die today or 20 years from now, I will spend eternity in heaven.  Everything in me wants to be here (and be well!)for my husband and son.  I have so much more I want to do here.  And I intend to fight for that opportunity.  But ultimately the outcome of this situation is up to God.  Whatever He decides, I will respect and accept His decision.   He is the God of the universe and this is His call, not ours.  We have long ago put this situation in His hands and we trust Him with the outcome.  I know that He works everything to our good, He loves Kevin and Andrew even more than I do, and He will care for and provide for them either way. 

Yes, I want that miracle, but I submit to God’s authority in this.  That is just the only way I can walk this path.

Thank you for your love and concern, thank you for standing alongside us, praying for a miracle. 

For now, we have decided to go to the beach for some quiet family time this weekend before the hard work hits.  We will likely not share this with Andrew until next week.  On Monday I go in for another esophagus stretch. 

I promise to keep you posted as I can.  Please remember us on Monday, Aug 3 for the endoscopy procedure and again for the lung surgery on Aug 12th, along with the following hospital stay.  

“Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul”   --  Horatio Gates Spafford

Kay and family

No comments:

Post a Comment