July 20, 2009

Dear Friends,

Just to let you know, I will be going to UNC tomorrow for a minor procedure.  I covet your prayers at 2:00 tomorrow (Tuesday). 

Last week we started investigating a rather intense pain that I have had for 4 weeks now on my left side underneath my arm and around my shoulder.  After an X-ray, CT scan, and 3 trips to CH the doctors are perplexed as to what may be causing the pain.  The CT looked good (Praise God!) and the only notable change was an increase in the size of an area of fluid that has been present outside my lung for some time.  Given the scan didn’t show anything in the area of discomfort my doctor has requested the entire thoracic team gather and review the scans to provide direction.  That will take place tomorrow.  (It was nice to hear that the areas visible on the scan did not reveal any cancer.)

We met with my radiologist on Friday and she said she is going to recommend that the area of fluid be drained, likely tomorrow directly after my appointment.  She is not happy that the fluid is there.  It could be hiding something on the scan or could be completely innocent and just a product of the radiation damage in my lung.  While we have been told that the fluid doesn’t always cause pain the radiologist thinks it is worth a try to see if draining it will alleviate the pain.  They will test the fluid as well. 

So off we go.  Our prayer is that this procedure will alleviate the pain, make the fluid go away, not return and that the fluid and affected area will be benign.  Thank you for praying with us as always.  I certainly don’t want to head off tomorrow without your prayers going with me. 

By the way – my esophagus burns have healed!  The last dilation (number 6) opened my esophagus to 16 mm.  Their minimum allowable is 18mm so I have a few more dilations in my future, but the burns have healed and it is much easier to eat now. Thanks for your prayers over this issue.  We’re finally seeing the light  and it is a blessed relief for which we are VERY grateful.

I’ll let you know how things go tomorrow.  Thanks again for praying us through this latest issue.  As I tell anyone who will listen, it is prayer that has carried us this far!  May God bless all of you----

Kay and family

No comments:

Post a Comment