May 26, 2009

All –

Late this afternoon I had the reading of my CT scan from Friday.  Dr. Socinski tells us it looks “good” with “no evidence of metastasis”.   He could not comment on the original tumors given the “radiation changes” seen on the scan which are clouding the area.  (They don’t call them radiation “damages” but when asked what “changes” means the answer is “scar tissue, fluid accumulation, collapse, etc.” so damage is an appropriate term.)  He feels that with my overall improvement and the fact that there does not appear to be any new tumors that I am still a candidate for “cure”.  He wants me to have an Xray in 2 months, a repeat scan in 4 months.  The radiation “changes” are likely to continue to heal some more even this far out from the radiation therapy which ended 6 months ago. 

I am on stretch 4 of the esophagus, with likely 2 – 3 more stretches needed to correct the problem.  I am eating better and my weight is picking up (I can’t believe I am actually happy about that!) which are both HUGE praises.  Also, I am encouraged that Dr. Socinski is still expecting a cure in my case and still some improvement with the radiation “changes”.  I continue to struggle with strength and stamina, chest pain which is ongoing between the esophagus and radiation “changes” in the lung, and my overall morale. 

This has been a long hard road for all of us.  Our lives have been turned upside down and inside out.  But I remain so grateful to everyone for their prayers, concern, love and support.  I am reminded each time I visit that hospital how truly blessed I am and for how much I have to be thankful.  No one can tell me why I got lung cancer.  And no one can tell me it is gone and will or will not return.  The only thing I can be certain of is that God is in control of this situation.  And I am learning that is enough. 

Our news today was good.  Praise God!  Thank you all for your prayers and many other efforts that got us here. 

Have a great summer –

Kay and family

No comments:

Post a Comment