October 21, 2008

Hello all—

I thought it might be time to check in and let everyone know how things are progressing. 

I had my 3rd chemo infusion of Phase II yesterday, 5th chemo total.  All went well!  My blood counts are good (the chemo can really get these counts out of line and cause you to have to suspend treatment if it gets too bad), my weight is steady (THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE GIFTS OF FOOD!), no nausea, and it only took ONE STICK to get into my vein!  Last week took only 1 stick as well.  Given that I still have bruises from my sticks 3 weeks ago, the one stick status is a huge answer to your prayers.   Only four more sticks to go! 

My weekly pattern is setting up such that I am pretty much confined to bed/sofa on Wed thru Sat.  My side effects are extreme fatigue, pain in my feet (those thick fuzzy slippers rock!) and shortness of breath along with general flu like symptoms.  Between the pain in my feet and the shortness of breath it has become a real struggle just to walk up/down our stairs and also to make it to my daily radiation appts in Chapel Hill.  But so far I have not missed one appt although I was wondering if I would make it last Friday.  My spirits take a real hit during this time since I basically have to check out of all family activities, which is difficult for a Mom.  But I had a sweet and timely note from a dear friend last week who reminded me that it is ok to be weak.  In 2 Corinthians 12:9 God says “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”  And it is surely His strength that has gotten me this far.  Thank you for praying for me – getting me to this point. 

Then on Sunday I wake up feeling much better, and feel pretty good on Sun – Tuesday.  What a great reminder that at some point I will feel better –what a great anticipation!  Those days are such a blessing. 

And so, after this week is finished I have 4 more weeks of treatment.  We were told yesterday to expect the last 3-4 weeks to be the most difficult, but I am determined to see this through.  This aggressive treatment plan is my best hope for a cure and that is a great motivator!  So far I have had no esophagus inflammation to speak of, although this becomes a real threat the last few weeks of treatment, making it difficult to eat and stay hydrated.  

I know I will walk those days covered in your prayers and we are so grateful to you in every way.  We thank God daily for you, our prayer warriors and partners. I will keep you posted as I can.  Thanks again for everything.

Kay and family

No comments:

Post a Comment