August 25, 2009

I’ll apologize first, for the late arrival of this update.  You have all been so nice to call, send cards, emails, notes, etc and I am sorry to be so late in getting back to you.  Everyone is so kind and considerate to reach out to me so often and I do thank you.  I will tell you that I had just an awful week last week after the surgery and that is why it has taken me so long to get back to you. 

As you saw from Kevin’s email after the surgery we were not able to do the TALC procedure because my left lung would not inflate.  So, Plan B, insert a catheter that has to be drained every 2 days.  Kevin has taken on this task admirably!  (I must admit - managing this process certainly takes “high maintenance” to a new level!)  Adjusting to this catheter has been a real, REAL struggle for me, aside from just the soreness from the surgery and the disappointment over the situation I find myself in - hence my difficult week last week. 

So we set out for our appointment at UNC today a bit undecided as to what we needed to do.  After all the tests were in the team decided on a new chemotherapy they offered to start today and we had looked at a few other treatment options and wanted to discuss those with my doctor.  I was still feeling pretty puny and wasn’t sure I was ready for it on that basis alone.   We asked God to order our steps and after the discussions with the doctor decided to go ahead and start the chemo today.  I am due for another esophagus dilation soon and we were trying to schedule around that too, which ultimately got scheduled for Sept 1.   The new chemo is said to have easier side effects than the last ones were I had and the hope is it will kill the final cancer cells and my body will recognize no need for fluid production and then the catheter can be removed.  We’ll do this chemo 1 time every 3 weeks for 4 treatment cycles and then reevaluate my condition.  We feel very blessed to have such highly acclaimed medical care right here at us and feel like we made a good decision to stay at UNC and begin therapy today. 

So, I got one behind me today!  It was a long day, we got there at 9:00 and got home at 6:30.  My wonderful Mom and my neighbor extraordinaire Brenda, kept things moving at home. 

As for specific prayer requests:

1. That we would glorify God in all we do.  We always ask God to help us with this as we are so challenged by this but know this is what we are meant to do and what we want to do, regardless of the outcome. 

2. Peace and comfort for Andrew and Kevin.  Their lives have been so disrupted only to have to confront this again so soon.

3. Complete healing and restoration of my health!  We are asking God for a miracle.

4. NO MORE FLUID! 

5. Vein health – it took 4 sticks today to get my IV started  (due more to operator error than vein health I think)

6. Good health during therapy – this particular therapy is prone to decrease my blood count levels more than the last one and the risk of infection is great, particularly with this catheter in place.  You all prayed me through this last time with my blood levels never getting too low to receive my treatments.

Thanks again for your notes – I’ll get back with you all as soon as I can.  Thanks too for your prayers which I always feel as I head over to UNC, update email or none.  You guys have been awesome!

“Reach out and touch the Master’s Throne, there’s healing for your mind, your body, and your soul”  from Broken But I’m Healed by Byron Cage

Kay and family

No comments:

Post a Comment